ABOUT ME

I live in a camper van with a West Highland Terrier for company.
My passion is creating images but it is a work in progress.
I am always willing to share what knowledge I have and can be contacted through the comments on this post or e-mail ADRIAN
ALL IMAGES WILL ENLARGE WITH A LEFT CLICK

Wednesday 28 October 2015

A BIT GRIM. (28/10/15)

This is the third day I have watched dawn not materialise. I am surrounded by low cloud or very wet fog. It’s horrible.

SEE

_MG_2324

LOOKING UP.

_MG_2327

LOOKING ALONG.

_MG_2334

LOOKING CLOSE.

_MG_2335

I have been considering another camera, to be honest there aren’t many days when I don’t but this one requires a great deal of thought and a bit of research. This is a FUJI GX680 III. They are about fifteen years old and as far as I can work out they will run on readily available cheap batteries. The MKs I and II use rechargeables which are a real pain to rebuild with new cells. It is a magnificent bit of kit with full movements on the front standard and bellows focusing. They are not cheap and are very heavy. I do have a good enough tripod and a couple of heads that will cope with the 5-6kg weight without a problem. It is primarily a studio camera but It is an exciting bit of kit. It would make a grand landscape camera with 6x9 format and with masks it will take all other 120 film formats. With  extension rails and long bellows macro at near 1:1 is possible but not many things will hang about whilst it is set up. Flowers and dead things would but I like taking live insects.

All Photos are Wikipedia.

330px-FujiGX680III_3

330px-FujiGX680III_4

330px-FujiGX680III_2

It looks fun.

24 comments:

  1. Wow---intimidating for me. I wish I understood all that--I'm sure if I did, I'd be a much better photographer. Great photos, especially the dog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathleen, I have just finished having this discussion. I like the latitude or dynamic range in film which is far superior to any digital I've used. But I am not an artist, I can't write but can cook either short order or the full works but when I watch trained folk in anything from photography, to writing, to cooking they are all competent in the basics. You have to be to work the tools whether it be a frying pan or a camera.

      Delete
  2. That camera does look like fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, these are expensive bits of kit as there are digital backs available for them. The Mark Is and IIs are much cheaper but soldering together new battery packs is a real pain. I have just done a big Metz strobe and found it nerve racking. It works a treat on the Bronica, I hope it does I've yet to get the film processed.

      Delete
  3. I cannot believe you want another camera!! You must have more equipment than the professional now. Hope your weather improves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, different cameras for different jobs. Most professionals I know have at least three with them. A little Fuji or Olympus for checking exposure and composition then anything else for the proper camera. They mostly have lots more at home.

      Delete
  4. Looking Up is very effective. As for Looking Along - someone seems to be saying, "Keep up there at the back."
    The only bellows camera I had was my father's old pre WW2 folding Kodak. It had an interesting facility - a narrow slide down section at the back and a stylus, supposedly to write directly on the film?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John it took two goes to frame Looking Up. I must be slipping up. I don't know where the other one had got to. Alf was probably looking for Moll. They think it's them that take me out. This camera has an auto write on the film edge. Very handy. You have bellows for your Canon I thought. This is a big lump and very complex for the millennium. Pity they are manual Hasselblad price though electronic Hasselblads are a fortune.

      Delete
  5. Fog is always fun to photograph.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The first four images are super, Adrian, with 'Looking up' and 'Looking along' being my favourites.

    The images of the Fuji just scare the c--p out of me. My head just says - "so, with the use you'll get out of it, what will the price per frame work out at when the purchase price is taken into account?".

    Good luck !!!! - - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fun playing with flash.
      I don't know really the system will cost between £500 and £800. I would expect to pop a couple of rolls of film through a month at ten shots a roll or 12 at 6x6 so about a pound a click. Much the same as a good Canon lens but much more fun. I am still looking at the camera. It is all electronic which isn't a good idea in something this old.

      Delete
  7. I can see why somebody would be very interested in this, particularly if you're about discovering how to do things differently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red, they are very quaint but for some reason about twice what I was expecting.

      Delete
  8. Adriaan I would buy him but if he is rightly well with someone than it is to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bas, there are several for sale but I'm still thinking about it.

      Delete
  9. I like the 2nd photo. Interesting effect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Monica, taken in desperation it is horrid here.

      Delete
  10. The weather has been terrible even down here. The camera looks awesome (you got to get it) I never knew Fuji made such impressive bits of kit. Shame they don't anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Douglas, yes awesome sums it up. I will have to have a serious think before I jump in. Mamiya do a similar camera.

      Delete
  11. It's almost November. Wet, cloudy, foggy---- Single malt weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill, it isn't very nice and I gave up a nightly tot a while ago.

      Delete
  12. I like the Looking along shot, there could be anything lurking up ahead no wonder Alf is looking for backup. I'm sure that monster will take great photos and you will look sooo impressive using it! I say you must have it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pauline, I like the look of it but the weight and size really mean I should get a house to put it in.

      Delete