ABOUT ME

I live in a camper van with a West Highland Terrier for company.
My passion is creating images but it is a work in progress.
I am always willing to share what knowledge I have and can be contacted through the comments on this post or e-mail ADRIAN
ALL IMAGES WILL ENLARGE WITH A LEFT CLICK

Monday 3 August 2015

MACRO MISCELLENY. (03/08/15)

It rained hard in the early hours of this morning but cleared up nicely by dawn. _MG_1534

_MG_1536

I noticed this Leafhopper sitting trying to dry out on a nettle leaf. I managed to get stung but also managed a side view. I really want a front view but it hopped away and once they hop they are almost impossible to find again. I think this is a Common Froghopper; Philaenus spumaris.

_MG_1538

_MG_1542

Dozens of Harvestmen about but I failed as always to get a good shot. I really want a side or front view as they have this cracking turret on top of their abdomen which they keep their eyes in it’s called an ocularium, wonderful word. I also failed to find one with a full compliment of limbs. They seem to be a little blasé or cavalier in their attitude to legs.

_MG_1539

The bracken is almost ready to spore and if I remember I’ll ask it nicely for a spore print.

_MG_1543

_MG_1546

A couple of Hoverflies to finish with today. I forgot to write down what they were and can’t tell from this angle. The tongue on the second one is brilliant. I never realised that they had hairy tongues.

That’s all for today, enjoy the week.

19 comments:

  1. Gotta love the lines on the 4th pic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, 1/60s for the sky and fill flash for the Bracken. Worked fine for once.

      Delete
  2. HI Adrian I did not know what the first 2 shots were! Interesting that the tongue has hairs in the last shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, they come in some wonderful colours but are difficult to find and harder to get a snap of as they can jump half a mile. Insects are amazingly complex.

      Delete
  3. That's the trouble with those damn froghoppers...once they're gone...they're gone!
    And what's wrong with having a hairy tongue?...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trevor this one was better than most but I still only managed three shots. Fortunately two were there or thereabouts.
      Nothing wrong with the odd hair but I just never knew they did.
      I'll have to get out earlier as I notice there are some bright coloured hoppers but I get excited when I see one and they hop quicker. I am convinced that the stunning pictures are taken of dead ones. I know folk use reversed lenses but that is basically what the MP-E 65mm is that's why it is so nose heavy. I'm glad I found it and now feel happy using it. Only took me three years to master it.

      Delete
    2. PS. Master it. get an image from it is nearer the truth.

      Delete
  4. I'd say you've mastered it. These are cracking images.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keith i have still got to stop the background blacking out. It's not a big job to swap a black background using a blend mode. I'll give it a whirl.

      Delete
    2. Trevor's look better with his coloured backgrounds. It is easier with the 100mm lens but then magnification is far lower. I do try and use 1/60s to get some background and pray the bloody insect is still in focus when the strobe fires. I need more practise. It's not easy.

      Delete
  5. Fantastic capture of the water droplet on the first little bug!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Superb images Adrian with added bonus of water droplets on some. I hope you get some spore prints I enjoy them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes a better day than of late. I'll fetch a bit back to the van and get a print.

      Delete
  7. I must look out my harvestmen pictures. I don't remember missing legs. Violent place Auchtermuchty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham, I'll have a look or some more when the rain stops. I think they must shed them.

      Delete