ABOUT ME

I live in a camper van with a West Highland Terrier for company.
My passion is creating images but it is a work in progress.
I am always willing to share what knowledge I have and can be contacted through the comments on this post or e-mail ADRIAN
ALL IMAGES WILL ENLARGE WITH A LEFT CLICK

Sunday 14 December 2014

GRANDMA SAID. (14/12/14)

I do live in a contrary climate. Yesterday the skies cleared a bit so I went out for some background video for the Christmas greeting whatsit. No sooner had I got set up than it started blowing like crazy and before I got back to the van it was teeming with rain. It managed to keep it up until mid morning today when the winds eased. It’s now just past noon and the temperature is falling fast from a dizzy 7oC, which was the highest I noticed overnight, to a promised –2oC, the rain is turning back to snow.

I have decided to stop up here until next Saturday. Tomorrow I’ll take a trip down Glencoe to Ballachulish as there is a new CO-OP there and I’ll be able to get some food, fags and maybe a bottle of campanology.

_MG_1102 What a difference a day makes the view from the van at lunch time.

_MG_1100   This waterfall is usually just a trickle. It is impressive today; I’m not surprised, the rain gauge says 61/2”. We didn’t have that much by any means; my rain gauge is like a little seesaw and it goes berserk when the camper rocks in the wind, 69mph was the highest gust last night.

I haven’t had much sleep but did get a lot of 3D modelling practise. I am slowly getting to grips with the job. 

star3PS    I managed to model an acceptable 3D star on a stick. It doesn’t look 3D as I would have to animate it to show you all around but it looks and is fine. Lighting and surface materials are just to show it off. I won’t light it till I composite the final video. I am thinking of adding tiny spheres to the mesh in between each pointy bit and persuading them to emit a stream of tiny particles. That would liven it up a bit. This will be the centre of my revolving lettering. I may give it a new sort of stick, this one looks a bit boring. It is boring it’s just a stick but before you mock I’ll have you know that making a stick with a tapered end and slotting it up a stars bum is not as easy as it looks. I now know why folk work in Ortho Perspective. If one doesn’t then selecting vertices in front view only selects half of them. Half a stick scaled or extended is impressive but of use to neither man nor beast. I may have missed a trick here.

testswirl    I have sorted the swirls this one is a flattened 3D tube and also 3D when looked at in plan view. When I pan round it, it is a spiral. The big white bit is a soft light I used to show it to you. I ought to have switched it’s visibility off before I rendered but forgot. My Grandma used to say fifty years ago.

“ Adrian you are too clever by half ”.

I think she was too kind to say, half clever, cunning, devious or lacking in attention to detail. I’m almost half a century too late to ask her for clarification.

I am really enjoying Blender. I get so far several times and it all goes belly up. It does have history like Photoshop but as I’m too impatient to name stuff history doesn’t help.

I now have eight different animated spirals saved, they will have to be done again as I forgot to smooth them and rendered at ten cycles and not 500, they are a bit choppy, I’ll re-do them. I have a font worked out for the revolving text, I settled on Hobo. Some fonts do funny things when extruded and bevelled. I looked up the problem and it’s something to do with false normals, I have no idea what they are so went through lots of fonts until I found one that didn’t throw unexpected vertices about. The text spins in the right direction at a uniform speed and I have a star to twinkle. I was hoping to composite in Fusion but I only have a week left to learn Node compositing. I am not clever enough to master it in a year so will stuff all the stuff on my desktop and then pop it into Photoshop a video layer at a time. I can piss about with it in Photoshop. I am used to it’s quirks.

  I’ve had Blender for two years and am only now feeling slightly less apprehensive when playing in it. I’m sure AutoDesk is better but Blender is free and, despite it’s idiosyncrasies, is immense fun.

Have a wonderful week.

 

27 comments:

  1. “ Adrian you are too clever by half ”.... Your grandmother was a wise woman. Her observation is still relevant today.
    I bet she also said "Adrian, stop frigging talking I am trying to listen to the radio" and "Adrian. What are you doing under those sheets? Trying to make fire?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YP, I don't recall her mentioning fire but she well may have it was a long time ago.

      Delete
  2. Oh Adrian, I've worked it out, a bottle of campanology, very good, ha ha ha. A 3D space in every day, its winner time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob, yes a euphemism fo Whisky the water of life.

      Delete
  3. Stars on sticks...animated spirals...what an exotic life you lead, Adrian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frances, you don't know the half of it. I went to the cafe for a coffee and a sticky bun as well. Tomorrow I have the excitement of a visit to the CO-OP. It's all go.

      Delete
    2. Frances, perfect are sticky buns.


      How's the nose is not giving grief? I hope it's coming on fine. Let us know

      Delete
  4. some serious wind. Stay warm, friend. Hugs to Alf and Mol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I say ditto to Frances' comment. That comment gave me a smile.This will be the best animated card I will get so keep going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, I can't guarantee the quality but I have most of the components of it now.

      Delete
  6. :-) I'm courious to see the finished cards, are they not finished yet or?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, no not yet. It will be finished and posted on the twenty first of this month.

      Delete
  7. I bet your dear grandmother would be stuck for words were she to come back today and see what you are playing with. I thought we had a lot of rain at the weekend. Nothing compared to what you had by the sound of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pauline, like most ladies I have known being stuck for words is not something I would associate with my Grandma. The weather here is crazy.

      Delete
  8. You've got some really rough weather. I'm not sure why you purposely travel to a rigorous weather area. Your Grandma must have known the reason. Now when will you be going far to the south for gentler winter weather?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red, I enjoy storms. I shan't be heading south. The south is too full of people.

      Delete
  9. Adriaan and yet it seems wonderful to spend in z.on nature with all its vagaries awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That first picture's absolutely brilliant, Adrian, What else to say? Thank you.
    Stay warm, McGregor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. McGregor, I'm lucky it is the view from the camper.

      Delete
  11. Very beautiful storm pictures Adrian!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruby, it is a very beautiful area.

      Delete
  12. La cascada es preciosa!!
    Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, es una buena cascada después de fuertes lluvias.

      Delete