ABOUT ME

I live in a camper van with a West Highland Terrier for company.
My passion is creating images but it is a work in progress.
I am always willing to share what knowledge I have and can be contacted through the comments on this post or e-mail ADRIAN
ALL IMAGES WILL ENLARGE WITH A LEFT CLICK

Sunday 10 August 2014

WALK BEFORE YOU….. (10/08/14)

I wish I had a friend who wanted to go through this monster learning curve.

I have had the devil of a job today. I first got into Blender 3D and tried to get an all black background to the ADRIAN’S IMAGES bit at the end. I couldn’t but did manage almost white. That is okay as if I pop it on a separate video layer and set blend to multiply it almost works. I have realised why the simplest bit of professional looking video takes a team of at least four and the same again in editing.

I went out on our first walk and just recorded sound. On our second walk I recorded the video. It didn’t occur to me till later that I have no means of syncing the two. I thought sod it, my readers will never notice and if they do they are tolerant. Syncing is the least of my problems. I did my best to chop and shuffle the sound tracks but then PS crashed… my fault for working too fast. I bet PS After effects has a little spinning wheel to stop you going too quickly. PS CS6 Extended doesn’t. Mean bastards, they charge enough for it but that has always been Adobe’s way. One gets the best and then they have better up their sleeve. They do give me updates but I must admit I’ve not checked for a year….I’ll do it now.

I have found it is much better to create an empty Audio layer; load into it and then drag stuff out of it if it’s to be in sequence into the original audio layer. Most video layers have to be on a separate channel if you want them to float over each other to blend and don’t just want a simple fade or cross fade. I am getting there. If you use functions for enhancement then collapse them. If you use adjustment layers do likewise. I suspect that is what caused the crash. The programme is just trying to read them at every key stroke. If you want to open them up it is only a mouse click away.

I then popped all my audio files through a free programme called Acoustica. I found the play button and that is about as far as I’ve got, I watched for peaking….. it was but still sounded okay just as well I didn’t understand the words when I opened the menu to correct matters. I converted all the posh WAV. files to MP3. I did have a little play; I added some echo on the second bit of waterfall. I was hoping that Acoustica could save files as AACs. It can’t. Not to worry I’ll find an audio editor that can. It matters little as YouTube use AAC compression and it is not stereo.

I know it looks crap but give me marks for effort, interpretation and skill.

The panning is better slower. Thanks Anvil Cloud. I will still look into a fluid head tomorrow.

When I've sorted all the editing malarkey, I’ll try and start working to a storyline…..Don’t hold your breath.

Have a great week. I think the bad weather is just arriving here.

31 comments:

  1. As usual, your pooches conquering every site. What a gorgeous place. I'll be on the lookout to see what you purchase (if you do) for the fluid head. The one I tried was so big. But then, for shooting video stills, it's not necessary. It's only for the panning that they supposedly help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's more, the fluid head I tried both vertical and diagonal panning seamlessly, apparently the bigger they are the more efficient they control the camera as it moves. But the size of it was just huge. Guess what: I even wrote the model of the head: it's the Manfrotto 502HD Pro Video Head with Flat Base,
      the "AH" flat-base version, which this one is, and the "A" ball-base version, which is separately available. The ball version allows you to do "diagonal" panning. But they only sell it together with the tripod. Look at it here:
      http://goo.gl/Gs1H5u

      Delete
    2. Maria, I ought to concentrate on the dogs.
      I have a Gitzo tripod with a removable base. I guess they probably do a ball base. The biggest advantage I can see with ball bases is that levelling is instant as you don't have to mess with tripod legs.
      I did see several fluid heads when the BBC were filming WinterWatch. I didn't get to use one. They rarely seem to pan or zoom I suspect that they do most of it in editing as I do with timelapse.
      I don't want to spend a fortune as it will not get very much use. I'll see if I can borrow a couple from my camera shop.

      Delete
  2. Your dogs are SO lucky. What a life they must have. As for the video, it looks great to me. But then, what do I know....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frances, I have a similar life so we are all lucky.
      I get a bit lost editing video. Shooting it is a three person job. One to keep a note of the scenes and their length. One to record sound and then a camera man.

      Delete
  3. Watch this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LukBtr4dm4

    The flat base head allows you to use it with any type of tripod, but to use the FULL ball head, you must purchase the whole tripod!!!!! Smart they are!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maria, thanks for all the links. I'm awake in a storm in the early hours so It will pass some time on.

      Delete
    2. Thanks again for the links. I have read through. I'll see if I can get a bowl for the Gitzo. They do a 100mm one. I don't like spreaders on tripods as they always seem to get in the way. I like the Manfrotto 502HD and it is within the realms of reason. I'll let you know what I decide.

      Delete
  4. Adrian I'm not a expert in this thing but your video is great! I admire you and your engagement with curve! ... well nature and your sensibility are the first artist, the video is really nice, quiete and louminous, I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, I will keep working at it. There is a lot that I'm not happy with but I thought it was worth posting.......Just.

      Delete
  5. Love the sound on your video. The wave sounds near the end sound like monstrous waves and the visual waves look so small. but that's ok, the sound is great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Horst, thanks. I was so busy trying to shuffle the sound into sync that I forgot about the volume until I'd You Tubed it. The Zoom H1 is a tacky bit of kit but it does work.

      Delete
  6. All I know is my head felt fluid after reading all that technical stuff. I really enjoyed that video - I especially liked Alf's ears poking up in the bottom off the picture. He is a cheeky little dog - or was it Molly?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat, I was going to break the clip there but I needed that bit. I don't mind them being in shot but I prefer all of them in. It looks like Alf. It's definitely one or the other of mine.

      Delete
  7. Your discussion of layering really helped me to understand many of the things we see in video.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red, I'll include a screen grab. It does get quite involved.

      Delete
  8. Well, you're welcome for my little tip even though your experimentation is far beyond what I do. I think you are getting very advanced in trying to sync an audio to a video.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, if you could have heard the words. I have a video head on the way. Things could be a whole lot worse.

      Delete
  9. I just watched the video because everybody is up now. I think you did a fine job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, it feels a bit like one step forward and two back. I am still only binning half of it and got an e-mail from a friend in the business saying it could do with thirty percent trimming out. It's frightening the footage that you need for just a minute of video.
      I'll try and pop a story board together and then go and shoot it. See if that makes a difference. Thanks again for the slow is better for panning.

      Delete
  10. I think your efforts are fine Adrian, it's funny how much difference the sound makes to the video's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. .... Forgot to say did you check You Tube to see if there are any tutorials for the issues you're facing?

      Delete
    2. Douglas the sound is all over the place but I'll keep trying. You Tube are only interested in I Pad. I will have a look. I tend to pop everything together for HD and then convert to 720 YouTube. It is me but I am using WAV stereo sound now and I have yet to learn how to edit the bugger. I suspect that bugger , though not a technical term for sound engineers, is a word they know well.

      Delete
  11. The sound of the sea was brilliant through my stereo speakers but when the cloud of green midges flocked in at the end to spell out "ADRIAN'S IMAGES" I must admit I was a little scared.
    Marks out of TEN:-
    effort - 10
    interpretation - 10
    skill - 10
    canine welfare - 3
    fashion sense - 1
    ironing - 0.2
    shoe polishing - 0
    respect for government - n/a

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YP, the midges started out blue then went to gold. I never would have thought I would have the time to play with virtual physics. Not only play but get a result of sorts.
      They are not supposed to be midges but little drops of gold. I'll do a separate post on the ins and outs of 3D modifiers. Well I would if I could. What the fuck is a 3D modifyer? I now know it's a Neil frightener.

      Delete
  12. Me encanta el sonido s del agua. Donde vivo es facil verla correr. Buen video.
    Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura la pequeña cascada es relajante.
      Voy a seguir tratando de hacer que el vĂ­deo mejor.

      Delete
  13. Getting there Adrian. Next task is to fade in and out on some changes of sound. The end title works well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, it's slow business. I do have a 2s fade in/out on sound but I kept copping into the track to try and synchronize it then I forgot to put the fade back.
      I've re-done the dust to letters but am working on a revolving earth. I want an earth revolving anti-clockwise then a gap and Adrian's Images in a ring around the equator revolving clockwise.

      Delete
  14. Certainly impressive sound quality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham, it is a good bit of equipment but it could do with a stronger case.

      Delete