ABOUT ME

I live in a camper van with a West Highland Terrier for company.
My passion is creating images but it is a work in progress.
I am always willing to share what knowledge I have and can be contacted through the comments on this post or e-mail ADRIAN
ALL IMAGES WILL ENLARGE WITH A LEFT CLICK

Saturday 14 June 2014

FLAT. (14/06/14)

I know it is the beginning of summer. It has wonderful things to offer but light is not one of them. I have seen summer now and can’t wait for Autumn. Even Michaela does not bother coming home from South Africa for a Summer Watch. I watched the last part of Spring Watch this morning whilst waiting for the weather to clear. Bill Oddie was making a cameo appearance. Brilliant he was. I don’t know who the waxed hair bloke is but he is a pain. I now just watch the pictures with the sound turned off. I enjoy the photography. Did you see the chap humping the monster video camera about to take pictures of Eagles and Deer. It must have been a plastic shell he was carrying. I bet the poor beggar that took the pictures of him was sweating.

_MG_2301      Despite waiting it wasn’t picture taking weather.

_MG_2329    Wet mist all over everything.

The bay appeared to be empty but wandering back into the corner I heard a strange woo, waring noise. I’d found the Eiders but the morning was so miserable they hadn’t bothered to get up.

_MG_2305

_MG_2306    If it hadn’t been for the male I would have missed them.

_MG_2307   I almost missed the ducklings.

_MG_2311   All present, that’s good.

_MG_2313  Time to go back for breakfast.

By about ten thirty things were much brighter so off we set once more.

_MG_2341

_MG_2342    I have noticed this before and just assumed it was the remains of a wall but I have doubts. It looks as if it has always been like this and is no use whatsoever as a wall. It seems to wander around in a random fashion.

It was a morning and early afternoon of don’t knows.

_MG_2318      This is growing just above the high tide line. I almost stood on it as you can see,

_MG_2324     This is growing not far from the Oyster Plant. It’s leaves are about four times the size and don’t appear to be the same except in colour.

Tomorrow I’m hoping for some good early or late light as I’ve found some impressive rock formations. Tuesday I head further north, I will probably have a night at Scourie or maybe a few days at Altnaharra. I’ll see how I feel.

That’s all for today.

22 comments:

  1. I watched Micha on tv yesterday night, yes, and damned camera man, jealous, huh. The eiders set a excellent scene, lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob, it is a bit brighter this morning but I would like to catch the Eiders in some early sunshine.
      The camera man was fit if he was carrying that lot for miles.

      Delete
  2. I just love that photo of the ducks taking off. Quite brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frances, I was lucky I'd just increased ISO to 1000. I'll pop them on the wall over the fire. I've always fancied having flying ducks on the wall.

      Delete
  3. I gave up completely with Summer Watch. I used to like the extra follow up programmes but the bearded one who is presenting it is so inept as a presenter it spoilt the whole show.

    The lines of stones look interesting. Too regular to be natural so I assume they were placed there in pre historic times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. None of the presenters are very good. Too much drama and arm waving.

      There is a Broch further along the coast but it isn't very Photogenic. I'll walk that way today with a tripod and the works. I'll ask Jim what the stones are when I see him.

      Delete
  4. (Not stones) A dragon slumbers far beneath the land ~ step lightly ;)

    Wonderful photos, Adrian, really capturing the essence of the misty day.. I could just about smell the fresh cool air!

    Ducks sleeping = eider down ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glo, you could be right, I'll watch my step.
      I have been looking for an Eiders nest. It is hard finding a small pile of feathers even when looking down.

      Delete
  5. The first photo and the ducks taking off are crackers in my book. I don't think we'll ever completely agree on light (although autumn light is probably my favourite).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham, it seems a long time since there have been interesting skies.
      No light at all about summed up yesterday morning.
      I shouldn't grumble it's warm enough.

      Delete
  6. The first photo with the shades of blue and the ducks taking off were my favourites too. But also intrigued by that that wall-or-whatever formation... Looks like something for Time Team to investigate (is that show still running?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Monica, it is fascinating, it must have had a purpose. Bronze age folk had more to do than build things without a reason. I wonder having looked at it if it originally followed the setting sun throughout the year. With tall stones being popped in to mark special days. No idea about Time Watch. I don't have Television.

      Delete
  7. The biggest problem for me in reference to Springwatch is two of the presenters put human emotions to wild animals. If anything got predated it was "terrible" creating a "bad" animal "good" animal scenario. Not good when one section of society wishes to cull anything with teeth or talons. As for Bill.O I came close to punching the ruse sod at the New Forest as he chose me to have a go at about photographers. I actually threw a punch but a mate got between us and took the punch...lucky for Bill Odious, I hate the bloke myself.
    I reckon your intial thoughts about the wall is right I saw a bit on TV and walls that looked similar was the original crofter settlements. I think it was Time Team or something like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So it's okay for BO to be followed around by a BBC Television Crew but not for Joe Public to carry a camera. One law........

      Delete
    2. I rather like Bill Oddie. I haven't met him but he was great in the Young Ones. Hang on; it wasn't the Young Ones....It was Three Men on a Bicycle. Douglas he deserves a slap.
      All three presenters of Spring/Autumn/Winter Watch act like Prima Donnas. I turn the sound off and just look at things as if I was on a walk. The film footage is great. Michaela should be just popped on over the credits to keep me watching the boring bits. This wall is Bronze age Douglas. Crofting is very new. It had a purpose but what it was can only be conjecture.

      Delete
    3. Graham I suspect Bill Oddie is not well. I know how he feels but he can deliver convincing dialogue. So can I when confronted by the boys in blue.
      I'm not talking about the blue Navy or RAF ones. There is enough confusion here already.

      Delete
  8. Love your photos Adrian, and I am intrigued by the wall too! I love the decks flying off and also love the dew covered grass too. Bit grey down here today but still quite warm, hope it improves soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val, I got a bit down yesterday. Do you know that the Eider can fly at 700mph, Sorry 70mph. That's still quick for me and a camera in bad light. These birds are little devils. They don't shout at each other "Ready, steady Go" like Greylag Geese do. First I know they are going is when they go and the accelerate quick.
      Just luck was the shot but I have been watching them every morning for a week.
      It's just fun.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Laura, it was a dark, dull day but it is usually worth gong out.

      Delete
  10. I love photographing in mist. That first photo is stunning! Jean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean, telephoto lenses work well in mist. I have a set of mist filters for the film camera. I'll have to give them an outing.

      Delete