ABOUT ME

I live in a camper van with a West Highland Terrier for company.
My passion is creating images but it is a work in progress.
I am always willing to share what knowledge I have and can be contacted through the comments on this post or e-mail ADRIAN
ALL IMAGES WILL ENLARGE WITH A LEFT CLICK

Tuesday 22 April 2014

I’LL BE BACK. (22/04/14)

Today my brother-in-law let me sit in a big posh Beemer and conveyed me to from Kinross to Falkirk. I didn’t get to have a drive as tyres are expensive and so is the little SUV…….Much better than wrestling with the camper it was; I could live with one of these and a caravan. It felt better even on big wheels and little tyres than the van does. Impressed; you bet I was.

 _MG_4304_5_6_tonemapped

_MG_4343_4_5_tonemapped This is the Falkirk wheel. It is stunning. It replaced eleven locks from the Clyde canal to the Union canal. It can lift hundreds of Elephants, dozens of London buses, and takes them as high as a short football pitch stood on end. Wiki it yourselves. It can hold lots of narrow boats and only uses 1.5KW/h per cycle. About the same amount of electricity as very clean or very large people expend on a couple of showers.

_MG_4313_4_5_tonemapped

_MG_4331_2_3_tonemapped

_MG_4334_5_6_tonemapped I had a ride on it. It is a long time since I’ve had so much excitement on a canal. I can remember a carnal holiday on a canal that was better but that was many moons ago. Spot on it is and I’ll be back on my own to take some pictures when the light is good. I’ve lifted these images as far as I dared. Heavy rain today.

We then drove across Falkirk towards Grangemouth to see the new Kelpies.

_V0G8651   Mythical horses with webbed feet that exist in deep oceans and fresh water lochs. The artist is Andy Scott. These are impressive and beautiful but his Clydesdale horse on the M9 is also stunning.

I could have spent a day or two in this area. I’ll try and get back this winter.

Tomorrow a new lens arrives and Bertha goes. It will be a sad day but I look forward to having a lens I can carry.

Have fun.

 

20 comments:

  1. I'm not sure I get the lock system here. I'll watch for your later posts. This looks like an area with lots to see and do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red, it is a big wheel that carries two gondolas full of water. As long as the water level is the same in each it matters not how many boats are in them. Something to do with Archimedes. It seems to work perfectly.

      Delete
  2. A Beemer? Hope he doesn't drive it like the rest of the beemer drivers I've come across.

    I love that horse sculpture at the end. The area there looks very clinical. Is it new?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keith, very sedate was the journey.
      Yes brand new it opened on Monday. I will go back for another look.

      Delete
  3. That lock system does look impressive and the larger than life sculpture is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gillian, despite appalling weather I was impressed with both the Wheel and the Kelpies.

      Delete
  4. I was fascinated when I first saw the Falkirk Wheel but that was not long after it opened. I must return. I shall definitely pop over and see the Kelpies. They look very impressive indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham, for some reason it had escaped my attention. I'll go back this autumn as it is illuminated at night. The boat trip is good but next time I'll walk round it has I suspect it will make for better pictures.

      Delete
  5. wow the monument it's really impressive, I like it so much thanks for sharing Adrain!
    ps... in the Easter time I was in Italy by my parents and I saw in TV that somebody saw in those day the Loch Ness Monster...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, they are beautiful.
      People are always seeing the Loch Ness Monster. I think it is too much whisky.

      Delete
  6. That looks very ingineus and it works on low power, which is done great, you big pictures are very beautiful, I hope you nieuew lens coming soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bas, I was very impressed with it. I have the new lens now.

      Delete
  7. The only locks I've experienced is the one at Soo St. Marie in the upper peninsula of Michigan. It was fascinating. I took pics of each "step" of moving a boat from Lake Superior and Lake Huron. I'd love to see this one in action. thanks for sharing, Adrian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Norma, this isn't a lock as such but a boat lift, it lifts about 100' and replaced eleven locks.

      Delete
  8. Looks like lots of fun, love the horse's sculpture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maria, I was impressed. In the right light they could be truly mythical.

      Delete
  9. Your Falkirk wheel shot looks like another bird !
    I have relatives in the area and I had no idea what it was when I first saw it after it was built. I had the opportunity to go on it several visits later but it's a bizarre afternoon out as most visitors either wanted to sample the ride, go somewhere on a boat or just view the scenery. I'll not say too much but the ticked box for me was the spectacle and photo opportunities from the walk in from the car park.
    I haven't seen the Kelpies yet but first came across them when a B&B owner from Crianlarich I've stayed with took a picture from a moving car. I had to find out where these creature were as they seemed to light up at night. More dangling carrot from the Scottish tourist board !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay the best shots would be from the Union canal towpath. It is accessible. The barge I had I ride on wasn't any good as a camera platform.
      Like the wheel they an be lit but how often they are I have no idea.

      Delete
    2. I hear what you're saying about the potential promo stuff. The last time I was in the area overnight, it wasn't conducive to photography as it was for a family funeral ... the only time the camera has ever stayed at home. I need a few good excuses to go and possibly check it out at night. No doubt the next occasion I'll have the opportunity, like everyone else, will be a stop off point ... bees round a honeypot methinks ... a 5pm late sun visit seems best but I'll have have to stay in the area for that one ... could investigate that towpath as well and need another excuse to inform the relatives !!

      Delete