ABOUT ME

I live in a camper van with a West Highland Terrier for company.
My passion is creating images but it is a work in progress.
I am always willing to share what knowledge I have and can be contacted through the comments on this post or e-mail ADRIAN
ALL IMAGES WILL ENLARGE WITH A LEFT CLICK

Sunday 12 January 2014

LED ZEPPELIN. (12/01/14)

I missed the couple of minutes of good light this morning. I took the dogs out at eight o’clock as they were stinking the van out. We walked the south shore of Loch Ness, not all of it, I should have said we walked on Loch Ness’s south shore. As the sun rose the whole loch was reflecting beautiful reds and yellows from the front lit clouds. I tried to hurry the half mile back home to grab a camera but the dogs were in Deer mode. It seemed to take ages and the light was going away in leaps and bounds._V0G7918  Light Gone Away. I was too late but fortunately not a late Adrian. I could have been, the wreck of an icy jetty I stood on for this tried to dump me in with Nessy twice.

_V0G7919 Not a breath of wind and no Monster. There is one. YP has seen it but I suspect only during a bout of delirium tremors. He was lucky, all I ever get to see are fluorescent blue mice; they are friendly mice, they are not a bit vicious.

Back for my second breakfast and the dogs first then out for a look round Foyers. First stop was the world famous falls, I’m blighted with waterfalls at the moment. Weeks of torrential rain and the falls here were a miserable trickle.

_V0G7922 The River Foyers. This is taken a quarter of a mile from the world famous falls. There is not very much going on even the bridge you can barely see just above centre is shut and falling down but too slowly for even a long time lapse video. A rapid collapse would compensate for the lack of anything going on.

_V0G7925   Then I found this. I think it is a tiny steam locomotive shed. It has a large vent in it’s roof. I’ll get some better shots of it and ask about to gain access.

This post is in chronological order but I walked the long way round the village via the graveyard. The settlement is built on the side of a hill so it’s all a matter of going up and going down to see it. It’s a bit like Tuscany but without the Wow factor, this morning it did have the damp icy, grey factor. Everything here is in shades of grey.

_V0G7931    The reason for Foyers. The aluminium smelter. It was built in 1896 and as bauxite reduction is heavier on electricity than a cannabis farm they used hydro, it used to produce 5MW. It shut around the mid nineteen sixties. It was purchased by Scottish.Hydro.com.PLC.Ripoff.Merchants. co.scotland and is now used to keep the new turbines spinning at Foyers Pumped Storage Hydro plant about a quarter of a mile away. These power generators have to kick in at a moments notice if they want the thousands of pounds a minute that they charge when there is a shortfall in electricity.

The spawn of the devil was Thatcher. She privatised what every civilised society should have. Clean water and power and heat. Talking of devils I’m in the village that Aleister Crowley called home. Funny bloke he was but he could write. Jimmy Page bought his house. It can’t be all wrong here if the founder of Led Zeppelin thought it a good place to settle.

I was going to finish with a video clip but DALIANA has done it for me, not once but thrice (that’s a biblical word for three). Great videos but take time to look at her blog she is a highly competent and accomplished mistress of film, paint and crayon. She is an artist. A kindred spirit but for the fact I have Piss in front of Artist.

Have a great week.

32 comments:

  1. well, i love your pics more and more, i like the maliconnia in them

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, yes there is maliconnia but I'm not sad or unhappy it is not me but what I see. Every day is different when I go out so I record it. In English melancholia is a bad thing like depression. I am not sad but this corner of the world was.
    Have you tried Béchamel sauce from cold yet? You need a strong wrist to whip it as everything melts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adrian, you are absolutely right about privatization of utilities. It then becomes a race to see how much money corporations can squeeze out of people who can't do without power.

    I did look at Daliana's blog. Yes, she is an artist. A very reasonable price on her drawing. I will get over to Mr. Pudding's blog soon. He has talents as well.

    For you I'm sorry you missed the colors at dawn. For me, I'm not. I absolutely love these pictures. Maybe I've got a thing for blue. Number 2 is my favorite but all are great.

    If the bridge fell I'm sure it would generate some excitement. But would you have to then have to swim out of there? If so, the condition of your boots won't matter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please delete one of the "have to." One is probably too many, two is over the top.

      Delete
    2. David, utilities should have a free allowance of enough energy and clean water to sustain life. After that by all means rip folk off.
      I am a Daliana fan. Her eye for a photograph is amazing.
      The bridge has been replaced with an ugly Bailey Bridge.

      Delete
  4. Adrian The Doubter.... I blogged about my sighting of Nessie back in 2007:-
    http://beefgravy.blogspot.co.uk/2007/11/confession.html
    Those of us who have seen "The Monster" realise that we are open to ridicule but so was Galileo when he told all of Tuscany that the world is spherical and so was Sir Arthur Scargill when he told the British media that Thatcher's aim was to destroy our coal industry. Now we have the cabinet records to prove her petty vindictiveness and short-sighted economic madness. No delirium tremens, just a small boy with the other five members of his family standing on the shoreline opposite Urquhart Castle with open mouths.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YP, I Believe, I Believe. I have seen your wonderful photograph of Nessy.
      If you would like to embed URLs in comments then look here FORMATTING

      Delete
  5. You've been getting very nice scenery. I like the wide lake scenes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maria, there is a surfeit of scenery here.

      Delete
  6. Missing great photo opportunities is the story of a photographer's life. However, you did get some great shots with reflections. I looked hard to see if there was a monster!
    Old villages are interesting to poke around. You can find some interesting shots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red, Scottish villages tend to be a blot on the landscape but the landscape more than compensates for their ugliness.

      Delete
  7. Lovely to revisit Loch Ness through your photos. Your first photo gives a feeling of serenity and the next one has a gentle feel to it ~ maybe from the filigreed branches against the liquid background. Interesting cabin...

    ReplyDelete
  8. The shots of Loch Ness take me back a few years Adrian, when I visited with a crazy Scottish girl I was going out with at the time. I remember seeing some old wood/logs on the shore, that someone had crafted into a 'monster'.

    Jimmy Page and Zep; now there's more memories ...........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keith, crazy is a relative thing. Were I to meet her and found she wasn't licking windows then we'd probably get on fine.
      They were a great band, one of the very best.

      Delete
    2. She was crazy in an evil way. Unfortunately the mother of my daughter. She took her away about 10 years ago, and I've not seen her since.

      Delete
    3. Keith, I am sorry I was flippant. I didn't know.

      Delete
    4. No problem mate, not many people know.
      Well, maybe a few more now :-)

      Delete
  9. My grandfather (who is a scot) told me the Loch Ness monster was just elephants that would rest and stop at the Loch with a travelling circus and could often be photographed drinking in the loch, he was slightly mad mind, but there was a travelling circus ask some of the locals.
    I like the big reflection on the first image.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Douglas, that has saved me camping out looking for the monster.

      Delete
  10. No viste al monstuo pero nos dejas una bellisinas fotos del lago ;)
    Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sin Laura, el monstruo es un cuento de hadas.

      Delete
    2. Laura, lo siento. No quise decir no Laura. Quise decir. Laura no, no es un monstruo. Es un cuento de hadas para llegar a los turistas a visitar.

      Delete
  11. It's a long time since I drove down that side of Loch Ness. I like the second David Casper Friedrichesque tree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham, it would have been better had the tree been on it's own. There is a Rowan growing on a big boulder on Rannoch Moor. I must stop and have a proper look at it .

      Delete
  12. I'm sure if you study the waters long enough, the surface plays tricks on the eyes !

    I was sold the same power shortfall story at Ben Cruachan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay, yes and I suspect a few Malts wouldn't go amiss.

      Delete
  13. What an awesome blog this is. I discovered you by following a comment you made on my uncle's blog (David Oliver). I've always felt an affinity to England even though I've never been there. I hope to visit one day. It is so beautiful. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Phillip, it's good to see you here. Better still that you enjoyed your visit.

    ReplyDelete