ABOUT ME

I live in a camper van with a West Highland Terrier for company.
My passion is creating images but it is a work in progress.
I am always willing to share what knowledge I have and can be contacted through the comments on this post or e-mail ADRIAN
ALL IMAGES WILL ENLARGE WITH A LEFT CLICK

Monday 13 January 2014

A FEW WARTS. (13/01/14)

It rained again overnight but by dawn the wind and rain had been replaced by a beautifully sunny day.

I should have taken Bertha out as I saw a Red Squirrel, a Dipper and a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker. Maybe not, it was a long walk and my seeing and getting an image are usually poles apart._V0G7939   What remains of a railway outside the old aluminium smelter. If I follow in it’s general direction after a few hundred yards then I get to this old shed.

_V0G7936  I thought it was an old locomotive house. Apparently it used to be a slaughter house. It is also a large image at 1.5MB. I’ve checked and it should be half this size. Strange are the workings of Photoshop sometimes.

_V0G7938 North Star. The square building under the trees on the horizon is the newish Pumped Storage Hydro plant. Scottish planners have a cavalier attitude to planning. I’m not saying it shouldn’t be there but it would be less conspicuous were it a green colour.

_V0G7934 The new bridge and the houses built to house workers at the smelting plant. These are good houses. They are grouped together and look okay. I detest the ribbon development and the tacky prefab timber frame houses that dominate so many areas.

_V0G7942The River Foyers, not a breath of wind. If you follow the reflections on the right hand side to where they stop that is where the Dipper lives. If it’s anything like tomorrow I’ll take the big lens and try for it’s picture.

_V0G7943   This is the campsite, the van and the brand new bird feeder, the site is brand new so at least my feeder fits in. The last one was lost in the floods. I must remember to claim on the insurance as all four feeders were full at the time. The feeders were posh RSPB ones the stick was past it’s sell by date and almost past it’s use by date. The new stick is a beauty and cost seventeen pounds including two pounds for an extra hook. The birds think it is wonderful. It took some finding as I like the ones with a spike on top for sticking apples on. Spikes are not all that common on Scottish feeder sticks nor are apples on this one as I forgot to get any last time I shopped and have only one left. I did get prawns and a load of salad stuff. Lord knows why, even on a sunny day it’s more stew weather than salad weather.

Tomorrow is my last day here so I’ll do a bit of birding and waterfalling. I was going to head for Skye but I've had enough rain. I’m going to Braemar, the Queen has a house there so it must be a good place and I bet a pound to a penny the skyline is not blighted by windmills and overhead power lines.

Have fun.

30 comments:

  1. Frame #5 looks great. Adobe extended the $9.99 per month offer to get the CC subscription, and this includes both PS and LR. I'm still skeptical about it. After one year who knows what they'll do and I was only interested in PS, not LR. It just seems the CC is what's going to stay. I also found out that PS with CC has little features that people with CS6 don't get; such as some filters and other features.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maria, I love Adobe, I paid the thick end of $US1K, For it, it will do me. Their video editor is not a patch on Lightworks. CS6 will see me fine and I still get cloud updates. If it fails I'll use GIMP.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Again I really like the big reflection on the image of the River Foyers, good luck with the Dippers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks to be plenty of room on that site Adrian, good luck with the dipper.

    peter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peter it will be a different story in summer.

      Delete
  5. I'm with you on the power lines. A huge amount of my joy in living would evaporate if my electricity went away but still I can't bring myself to like power lines. The last game I played had people posting on the message board that they wanted power lines in the game because it was realistic. Sad.

    I'm a bit curious about the old building. Why would there be a sheathing of concrete(?) over brick? And the header over the door looks to be wood...
    BTW, it's a fine picture of the building. I can easily imagine myself standing there close.
    But #3 is my favorite. I like the colors, the boat and the water. And how clear the water is. I agree the building in the distance doesn't help the look of the landscape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David, many if not most buildings in Scotland are covered in mortar and then pebbles. It's called harling and is done to keep the rain out.
      Electricity is a necessity but it does disfigure the landscape.

      Delete
  6. Adrian you are back in a magnificent old barn that I would be able to use

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a beautiful place! Remaind me on the beautiful films from my childwood...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, I wish I could remember my childhood. It was a long time ago.

      Delete
  8. These images are the perfect example of how rainy days can provide great opportunities for photography. These turned out spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another great scenic area Adrian.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome photos. It's very green and wet so things are very sharp. You always ell a good story to go along with your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Greetings to my favourite gypsy ... smiles ...

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have taken beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is difficult to fail amid such scenery.

      Delete
  13. Today you get rid of the rain;) Eventually everything vanishes and forget
    Good reflection of the calm water.
    a hug.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Laura, it seemed a long wait.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Even if that shed was a slaughter house I still think it would make a cracking engine shed -- must bookmark this post in case I ever want to model one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark it was the size of the doors and the vents in the roof that still makes me think it was originally an engine shed.

      Delete
  16. For some reason old and abandoned sheds hold quite a fascination for me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Graham, it's not just sheds for me but anything man made that nature is reclaiming.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely Foyers reflection and North Star subject.
    Must be expensive or difficult to find replacement bird feeders in that area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A bargain in the garden centre. Cheaper than B&Q. The feeders aren't as good as RSPB ones.

      Delete