ABOUT ME

I live in a camper van with a West Highland Terrier for company.
My passion is creating images but it is a work in progress.
I am always willing to share what knowledge I have and can be contacted through the comments on this post or e-mail ADRIAN
ALL IMAGES WILL ENLARGE WITH A LEFT CLICK

Wednesday 17 July 2013

NO NAY NAVER DAY TWO & A BIT. (16/07/13)

It’s been a grand afternoon 18C but the wind has got stronger. It could rain again tomorrow so I thought I’d macro a few plants. If I had any hair I’d have pulled it out. What a job it was! I have to go into Lairg tomorrow as I forgot to buy enough dog food. I may get a broadband signal there so I thought I’d get up to date.

_MG_0933 I hope this is a Common Spotted Orchid. I have my doubts as it’s growing in a swamp and a peaty swamp at that. It’s about six inches tall and three quarters of it is stem or stalk so it’s more likely to be a Marsh Orchid.

_MG_0934  This is Bell Heather. Until 1819, when their houses were burnt down and they were driven away,  the local populace used it for making beer, bedding and rope. If it should turn out not be Bell Heather then they didn’t use this plant, not for making beer or rope they didn’t._MG_0916    This is Sundew…..a Great Sundew….that’s it’s real name not my expressing appreciation of it. I seem to recall it is carnivorous. It traps flies and eats them. It isn’t dangerous to humans, it is only a few inches tall. It’s the first one I’ve seen so I was happy. There are several around on the foreshore and I found a couple that had caught flies but the images are too blurry to use.

I’ll get up to the old township tomorrow when I get back from the shop. I’ve been once and it is a wonderful if rather sad place.

_V0G7211  The view from the van this evening…..Loch Naver and Ben Klibreck.

That’s all for day two and a bit.

31 comments:

  1. The flowers are pretty or interesting or both. I'm glad the Great Sundew is not the Monstrous Sundew because I would be very afraid. The landscape...I have no words Adrian. I just absolutely love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David, it's a grand spot and a great place to wander in. The Sundew can give a nasty suck.

      Delete
  2. Looks like yet another beautiful place Adrian as usual the images are great

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Douglas. The place needs a birder like yourself to do it justice.

      Delete
  3. Such lovely spots.. the orchid and the place in general. It's been years since I've heard The Wild Rover in a pub but your post titles bring me back there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hilary, I bet your dad sang it, you must be too young. I hope I can keep roving for many a year but I fear I'm getting weaker.

      Delete
  4. The landscape is very good. Great find on the carnivorous plant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maria, It is beautiful. I used to walk on plants like this till I started blogging. People taught me to look where I was putting my feet.

      Delete
  5. They are beautiful flowers, and I am glad that you haven't forgotten the dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are beautiful flowers, and I am glad that you haven't forgotten the dogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob, I wish I could forget them sometimes.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful flowers ... And the orchid more. ADRIAN.
    In the picture you see the fly caught in 2 x :))
    A hug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, yes I saw it. it had caught a Crane Fly but I didn't manage to get it in focus. That bit you see is it's tail.

      Delete
  8. Now that the crofts are less used than they have ever been one would think that there would be more wild plants but unfortunately the lack of cropping seems to have the reverse effect in that the long grass swallows and chokes many of the small ail plants. Spurred on by your photos I must go exploring some more now that I have the microscope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham, plants like poppies need the soil to be tilled. Sheep are the pest; they don't eat bracken or lings but gobble most other interesting plants. I love the really tiny flowers.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Peter, it is getting better. I have a macro plate but took these by hand on birder mode...IE I blitzed five shots off and picked the best.

      Delete
  10. The people who lived in this area sound interesting. They sound a bit like our aboriginals as they used natrve plants for many things. I will have to look into these guys. Do they have a particular name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red, a third of their descendants are now Canadians. I think that Poverty stricken Scots would about sum them up. Look up 'The Clearances' a particularly dishonourable bit of English history. One among many I'm sad to say.

      Delete
  11. Prachtig macro werk,klasse.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful whatever they are. I'd avoid trying to pick the Sundew anyway, just in case...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When it flowers Monica it has very pretty little white flowers.

      Delete
  13. This orchid is beautiful Adrian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle, they are gorgeous little plants.

      Delete
  14. Beautiful plants, even the fly catcher. I do wonder if they look as good in real life, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pauline, they are real I don't mess with plants and animals...Okay I do but generally say if I have. These are flash lit on a dedicated close up lens. I do own a lens that will only focus from four inches to two inches. Good job I'm a bloke.
      The Aussie cricket team could do with a bit of my spin...they could do with hitting with a big stick wrapped in rusty barbed wire. Don't pass this on till we Poms have whitewashed them....Please!

      Delete
  15. Replies
    1. John, Ta but it needs stacking. The wind makes that impossible. I should really pick them and bring them back but although they are not rare I just can't do it.

      Delete
  16. It's a wonderful trip to do Adrian... mine was way back in 1992.
    I really must do it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew, it is. I'm fighting weather but the good days are magical.

      Delete