ABOUT ME

I live in a camper van with a West Highland Terrier for company.
My passion is creating images but it is a work in progress.
I am always willing to share what knowledge I have and can be contacted through the comments on this post or e-mail ADRIAN
ALL IMAGES WILL ENLARGE WITH A LEFT CLICK

Wednesday 31 August 2011

WHERE TO BEGIN PART [B] (31/08/11)

Here we go, you’ll probably get these posts in the wrong order but it makes little difference what order balderdash comes in………….the quantity of it is relevant however so feel free to skip one or the other. Be too late if you get to the end of the other!_8296765_6_7_8_9_tonemapped_edited-1     Half the Lime Kiln with Rose Bay Willow Herb or Fireweed ( same stuff, not me hedging my bets) growing in it. I posted this last week on my visit but re shot it in HDR for this one. If you click on ‘last week’ You’ll see it and some other stuff.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA     A different perspective of the wooden barn.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA     Smardale Bridge. The Gill flows towards us and I assumed it’s source to be in the Howgills. I’ve had a good look at the map and now I’m not so sure………….nothing new there then!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAMonday I walked the full length of the reserve to the railway viaduct carrying the Settle to Carlisle railway. This one still has trains running on it. I’ll investigate further but it seems almost impossible to get a good view of it for the trees. There is a path but it says NO DOGS-----NO GUNS------PEOPLE WILL BE SUFFERED BUT NOT GLADLY------THAT APPLIES TO YOU!!!! YOU WANTING A SNAP OF THE VIADUCT!…… I’ll drop Cumbria Nature an e-mail for permission before my next visit. Usually works a treat. A fiver might help if the e-mail fails.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThis is an awful picture of I know not what. I’d like to as it seemed rare. I only noticed two clumps of it. Suspect one of you will know.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThis is Eyebright but ten times bigger than the Tan Hill Eyebright I focus stacked the other day. We are seven hundred feet lower so that could account for the latter being vertically challenged, ( not dwarf, I’ve swallowed a politically correct pill, I’ll try and remember to keep taking them). The leaves on this are more delicate so it’s most likely a variation. We are at or about eight hundred feet here which surprised me. I thought we were much lower.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA             Another perm one from three job but I’m going for Common Century. Not so common round here, these are the only two I found.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThis is getting silly or sillier. Greater Birds Foot Trefoil………….again a ‘but’. This is climbing up something like Hogweed…….it’s only climbed a foot though. So a small hogweed if that is what it be. You can see it’s wee tendrils. One clutching at thin air……Don’t I just know how it feels!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAHare Bells I really like the way they sway so elegantly in the slightest breeze.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAAnd something I’ve never seen before, White Hare Bells…………No! I haven’t Photoshopped the colour. These were the only ones I found though.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI am hoping that this is an older one of these………………………………………………..

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERANot the Bumble Bee! Knapweed! You must think I’m daft! There seem to be many different Knapweeds…………..getting above myself a bit…….getting into varieties…………..not to mention totally out of my depth.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI’ll leave you with this. Knapweed again but all ‘Arty Farty’ this time.

I really love spending time here. Thanks again Phil for posting on it at CABINET OF CURIOSITIES. For those that don’t know his blog have a gander………..he knows his Trefoils from his Buttercups and in a year or so has made my wanders far less strenuous and immeasurably more interesting. A double whammy I believe the term is…….or was. Ta Phil.

I’ve loads more don’t knows but I’ll share them some other time.

All the very best and enjoy whatever it is you are engaged in or on!

10 comments:

  1. What a beautiful area. I can't help you identify any of the unknowns but I can think you for making my day a little brighter for having read your posts. So, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a nice pair of posts. It's comforting to look at so many flowers before I go face the late-summer weeds in my garden. Reminds me what I'm fighting for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hilary, I'm here to act the fool.......I just snap away. I love this place and one day I'll know what I'm snapping at. The only thing wrong is intermittent internet.........BT always give one a good signal whilst they collect the money but then I get an hours worth of good signal for the price of twenty four hours. Next time I go I'll post afterwards like this time.Saves stress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is the most beautiful, the kiln and to the flowers. Thanks also to Phil, who helped Adrian.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A wonderful read Adrian complete with your lovely images... I take pics of nearly all I see on my walks and I have built up quite a library at home to try and identify my captures.
    I am usually flumaxed when having to make a choice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. JoLynne, I suspect the first frost is not far away. That'll will be the flowersfor another year.

    Bob, many thanks........Phil does go to sme grand places.

    Andrew, there is endless or seemingly endless variation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great images Adrian, especially 1 & 3.

    I'm afraid I've dipped on the ID of the first flower image. (still trying tho'!)

    And your Knapweed images are of the Greater and the Common. [;o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Trevor, thanks........I am thinking the first might be Large Thyme.....foolishly I neglected to sniff at it. the dogs probably did but they are of no help.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So many viaducts lost in the trees, angry notices & ... devoid of proper passenger trains. I'm impressed with the Harebell & once again the knowledge you show.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jay, I believe they still run steam locomotives on the Settle Carlisle. The Darlington Teebay run would have been another good one.
    My knowledge is pretty hopeless though better than it was. A year agoe I was describing them by colour alone.

    ReplyDelete