ABOUT ME

I live in a camper van with a West Highland Terrier for company.
My passion is creating images but it is a work in progress.
I am always willing to share what knowledge I have and can be contacted through the comments on this post or e-mail ADRIAN
ALL IMAGES WILL ENLARGE WITH A LEFT CLICK

Wednesday 12 August 2009

LIFEBOAT DAY STAITHES (08/08/09)

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

First light looking out across the North Sea from Old Nab. Much colder this morning was blowing on my fingers and for the first time in ages wearing a jacket for warmth. Hopefully not much work for the Lifeboat today, sea almost flat calm. Walked from Hinderwell up to Port Mulgrave and along the coast to Staithes.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA DAWN......Not spectacular, but nice to have the world to oneself.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA FULL MOON......Corn and old posts, pity about Boulby Mine but it is not too intrusive from here in this light.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA KETTLE NESS.......Looking South East from the cliffs above Old Nab.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA EVERYTHING BUT WRIGGLY TIN...... and Molly making a guest appearance, she usually manages to insinuate herself into at least a couple of frames a day.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA CLIFF FARM

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

STAITHES......Again steep narrow streets typical of the old fishing villages on this coast.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA This is one of the few protected harbours around here and at one time home to a fleet of seventy vessels. These would all have been Cobles a fishing boat unique to this coast and having it's ancestry in the Viking Longboats. There are still several to be seen and I will post some pictures when next I remember.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I was a little early to join the celebrations for Lifeboat day. Two sunny days on the trot, hosepipe bans are just around the corner.

5 comments:

  1. Love the shots of the little streets. Looks like you're having a great time so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just loving the adventure of seeing parts of the UK that I always whiz past without seeing or exploring. I can see that I am going to enjoy your adventure very much.

    The photos are wonderful. I'm enjoying the mixture of photos of record and photos for art.

    Obviously once I found Port Mulgrave on the map (actually despite having hundreds of maps I used Google Earth!)it became easy to track your journey.

    Have you thought of putting a map on your Blog with the journey or the places you visit marked on it? Quite a bit of work but for your audience it would be great to be able to keep track and it might be a way of providing another visual record of the adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A map is a grand idea, will see what I can do when next I get a minute.
    The reason that I haven't is that the trip isn't really planned. All my life I've been tied to schedules so decided never to buy a guide book for this journey. OS maps only. Just Hope serendipity keeps providing interesting things to look at. All the best Adrian.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good. The map could just be a record not a plan. I think it's really exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just catching up on some blogs. The photos of Staithes and Runswick Bay brought back memories as it must be over twenty years since I last visited them. I am pleased they appear to be in the same time warp. Are there still any of the older Staithes women wearing the traditional head dress I wonder.

    ReplyDelete