ABOUT ME

I live in a camper van with a West Highland Terrier for company.
My passion is creating images but it is a work in progress.
I am always willing to share what knowledge I have and can be contacted through the comments on this post or e-mail ADRIAN
ALL IMAGES WILL ENLARGE WITH A LEFT CLICK

Thursday 4 June 2009

PHOTO LOCATIONS DERBYSHIRE---SHACKLOW BOBBIN MILL.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

BOBBIN MILL

I've been here numerous times but never come away with anything to shout about, (Molly doesn't think that much of it either). I feel it has possibilities, if it inspires you see what you can make of it and let me know.

image

image

There is a large lay by virtually opposite the access track to the mill, or room on the verge to the west of the track. Should you be totally under whelmed then Magpie Mine is only fifteen minutes away and the southern access to Monsal Dale, to the west, even less.

image

This place is better in winter from a vegetation point of view, but always pretty dark. The above photograph is taken from the bridge on the access track. Legend below:

A-----A hole in the ground, look down and you will find the mill tail race.

B----Don't know what this was used for. It had line shafting running in front of it.

C----Undershot wheel.

D----Another matching wheel.

E----A separate building enclosing a smaller wheel and with a couple of high pressure feed pipes. As if it held a stone saw.

F-----The exit of the Magpie mine sough.

G----The mill weir.

I can find no recorded history of this mill. I believe that it was owned by Chatsworth Estates and built to utilise the timber in Great Shacklow woods. Bobbins being manufactured for use in the mills at Litton and Cressbrook. Below are a few of my better efforts. I'll leave to your imagination the standard of the most of the others.

P4173147_48_49_50_51_edited-3

BOBBIN MILL

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

WEIR

Shacklow bobbin mill

WHEEL

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

AND AGAIN

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

SOUGH DEDICATION STONE

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

DETAIL OF THE GEARING ON THE WHEEL

I take a wide angle and zoom, a flash is useful and an assistant for holding it, not much call for anything else. Don't forget your wellies. Please try not to be put off. The pictures may be grim but the location is very pleasant. If only as a sandwich stop.

Happy Snapping.

BACK TO PHOTO LOCATIONS INDEX

2 comments:

  1. how could you possibly be grumpy about this place? its a magical little mill and a wonderful place to be. each to their own of course, the lack of a convenient KFC or McDonalds probably made this site dull for you. such a souless person with such a talent for good shots... what a waste...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not grumpy with the place.........grumpy with me. You have as bigger bark as I do. can't remember the last time i visited the Golden Arches. I must admit to a KFC six months ago. The site is great I just never come away with good images. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete